Best duck breeds to sell

mutherclucker99

Hatching
Sep 15, 2020
Southern California
I am buying ducklings and plan to sell their fertile eggs and ducklings. Which breed is best for this? I am planning on shipping hatching eggs and selling ducklings locally. I am in southern california if that makes a difference. I was thinking of starting out with welsh harlequins and indian runners, I was also considering cayugas and swedish, but I'd like to keep it to two breeds. What do you guys think? What are the most in demand breeds? Thanks!

Depends on what market you're looking fir. Pets, eggs or meat. Also what's popular in your area. Like here, pekins and muscovies are popilar, and I probably couldn't even give away a call hen

Depends on what market you're looking fir. Pets, eggs or meat. Also what's popular in your area. Like here, pekins and muscovies are popilar, and I probably couldn't even give away a call hen

I believe all of the above... probably mostly pets and eggs. I live in san diego where theres not a lot of big farms, most of my customers would probably looking for ducks for small backyard flocks (depending how far they drive from). I've tried looking on craigslist and saw mostly runners, and some cayugas and thats about it. They sell for $10-$15 a duckling, unsexed, from what I've seen.

I have fawn&white and gray runners and Dutch Hookbills. I cannot keep up with the demand for Dutch Hookbill hatching eggs, but have very little demand for my gray runners.

You might look at the Livestock Conservancy site and see what's rare. Dutch Hookbills are rare, but there are other rare breeds, too.

Where I’m at, high quality call ducks are in really high demand. I couldn’t produce enough ducklings to keep up with requests. I had snowy calls. Swedish and rouens are good too.

Back
Top Bottom