Best duck for pets?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by awesomefowl, Sep 22, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hello! I would like to maybe get 2-3 ducks for my little sister as pets.
    What are good breeds for kids? I know most ducks are gentle, but which one is also the calmest, and won't flip out if it is held 90% of the time by a little first grader? [​IMG] We want a drake with a green head, so i was thinking mallards because they're cute, or rouens, but I think they're ugly.
    Thanks!

Also, how many sq ft do ducks require in housing? I have read Storey's Guide to raising ducks twice, but can't remember.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I love my call ducks [​IMG]
    here are my call ducks
    [​IMG]
    call ducks come in lots of colors you can find some that have green heads
    4 feet per duck more is better [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Cayugas are quiet, calm, and the males have mostly green bodies.

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    cayugas and Welsh harlequins are good..

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Absolutely agree-I have 7 Calls and they are fantastic, friendly little things.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have one peking and kinda funny, cute, and annoying.....follows are little weiner dog around if you can't find the dog look for the duck....and if the dog isn't out there guess who it follows around....uggh lol. It bites at the cat, roosters are scared of it cause its mouth is bigger I guess pretty funny though.

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Well, Calls are cute, and they're generally bold and unafraid of people, but they are NOT calm...I don't think they're the greatest for kids, and they fly, so you'd need to keep their wings clipped or keep them in an enclosed pen to keep them from flying away. That being said, they're awesome little birds. I have 11 of them myself. [​IMG]

Cayugas are supposed to be friendly and relatively quiet...and that green sheen they have...they're just stunning.

Dutch Hookbills are the friendliest breed I have. They free-range my yard, and they like to follow people around and nibble on their shoelaces and tug on their pant legs! [​IMG] The males have lovely green heads and eye-catching pale blue bills...this is my Bibbed Hookbill drake, Zipper, but they come in Dusky without the white bib too:

[​IMG]

Welsh Harlequins are another breed that's supposed to be friendly...the drakes look a LOT like Mallards, but they're a little more...silvery, I guess. They're very pretty - and, the females are great layers of big, white eggs!

You may already know this, but this is a great website to browse all the duck breeds (lots of information and pictures!): http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, you know my vote has to be for Calls! Though my second favorite would be Black East Indies.

Among the Calls, we do have a Silver Appleyard variety, and the males have green heads. Of all the Calls I have to say that I think this variety is the most laid back, though my blacks (which have a green sheen) have proven themselves as pets for the family as well. I know of at least two local families who have purchased from me for their grandchildren and have been very happy with them; they start out feisty but settle in well.

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I like my Welsh Harlequins; pretty, nice size, and lay lots of eggs!
    [​IMG]This pic was taken a few months ago; the drake now has a solid, dark green head.

10. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Thank you everybody! I like Calls but they are very small, what about mallards? Are they calm? THANK YOU you all rock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by