Best Duck Pen/Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pauliefalc, Oct 10, 2011.

1. pauliefalc

pauliefalc New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    Just wondering what everybody keeps their ducks in. I have tried t-post and u-post with welded wire fencing. My only concern is fox and hawks. What do you all use and how big should it be?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Dog runs work well you just need to make the wire smaller which can be done using hardware cloth. I don't pen my ducks though, they free range...

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks have the fenced yard during the day (with a guardian dog) and the drakes have their pen inside that (not even 3ft. tall garden fencing with step in stakes) but at nite they get locked up tight in the shed/coop. As predator proof as can be with hardware cloth/cage wire covering window openings. I am in the process of building a secure duck box/house because they add too much moisture poop mess in my chicken coop. I already have a wooden dog house with a heavy wired door that I use for two bachelor ducks - but I am going to cover the wire with plywood and leave ventilation at the top. I think my ducks were getting scared by visitors/predators coming up to the wire door.

I want to build something like this:
    [​IMG]

I also LOVE this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by