Best ducks for eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rubyrogue, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Hello all it has been YEARS since I have had ducks. I have heard that duck eggs are great for baking and would like to add a few to fill requests at the farmers market. In the past I just had whatever was in the bin at the feed store and eggs that I had ordered off eggbid. which included buffs, black swedish, blue swedish and a pekin. They were shown at the fair and then sold.
    Now for questions:
    What breed is best for laying?
    When do ducks start laying?
    Do they lay year round or is there a season?
    Any other helpful information?

Thank you very much in advance

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Khaki Campbell ducks are. [​IMG]

3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Golden 300's from Metzers!

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I spoke to Mrs Holderread of Holderread waterfowl and she said that there Welsh Harlequins actually laid better than their KCs. You could also look at one of the hybrid ducks that Metzer has. I ordered Welshies from Holderreads. Can't wait to get them in April

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    My Welsh Harlequin from Metzers layed for 10 months took two month break and started laying again...

6. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Indian Runner ducks are supposed to be prolific layers.

Mine are still a bit too young, but that is the reason I chose that breed (plus they are so funny!)

7. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    In her book, The Resilient Gardener, Carol Deppe makes a great case for Anconas if you plan on pasturing them. While they don't lay as many eggs as Campbells, they are excellent foragers, less nervous than many breeds, and pretty good mamas.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Also Anconas lay larger eggs and being heavier are excellent dual purpose ducks, eggs and meat.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Runners started laying at 6 mths and are still laying a few. My Pekins are not too good right now in the laying dept but they sure eat the grain well![​IMG]
    My Rouen laid okay for a while then quit when it cold colder and every once and a while I get an egg from one of my Khaki Campbell girls.
    I love my Runners most of all but for the egg production I need for customers I am going to try the Golden Cascades from Sandhill.

I am thinking of getting a few girls from Metzer. I have heard those Golden 300s lay very well, too. That number is in their name for a reason.
    I fear I will be ducked out in a few more years! I just keep building more pens.[​IMG]

But you are right, duck eggs are great for baking and if I eat an egg it had better be a duck egg now. Scrambled with a touch of cheese in it is fabulous! Chicken eggs are not as tasty anymore to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by