1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best egg candler... opinions please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orangefish, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Orangefish

Orangefish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have broke 2 good eggs now and I've had enough!! I need a good candler, I have dark Welsummer and Maran eggs. Anyone know which is better, or one to definately NOT get? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I use a cool-light candler and a small led flashlight, so can't say what is best.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Before I got an egg candler I just used what ever flashlight was in the house. I now have a Cool-Lite Tester..it works okay..but it's not the greatest. [​IMG]

5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i use my snap-on 18V LED light... i can see everything in light colored eggs, and i can see some what in dark eggs... i forgot how many lumens it is... but i know it cost 180 bucks... LOL... my friend uses his stinger LED... that's also a 200 dollar flash light... i was thinking about using my niterider trinewt off my bike... but the battery doesn't last as long as the snap-on light...

6. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    this is my first time candling, I'm using my desk lamp!!! lol. it's a 75 watt bulb and it's one that has a bendable neck thing so i can bend if to lie flat with the light facing up. I got a cardboard box that goes over it to block the light, and cut a hole in the top just big enough i can lie the egg on it without it falling through. it might not be the correct way to candle, but i can at least see something moving inside my dark brown eggs!!! [​IMG]

of course, this also told me that mine are a couple days behind where they should be due to the stupid thermometer breaking... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by