Best egg layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gen120, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Gen120

Gen120 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hello,
    I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago, and I have a flock of 11 pet chickens, we have had chickens for about 6 or 7 years now, and we love having them as pets, we also keep them for their eggs, but mainly as pets.
    They have a very large, nice coop, and are out free range every day, to forage for bugs, etc, and they are very spoiled, hehe, my sister and I put them up every night before dusk.

We have 2 Barred Rock Hens, 1 americana hen, golden seabright hen, golden seabright/jap. bantam cross, hen and rooster, and 5 regular bantams 2 of which are roosters. The hens are very good layers, but we are looking to buy more young hens from our local feed store this coming spring, what breed is the best layer??

Thanks, Victoria

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
  3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    [​IMG]

4. Gen120

Gen120 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    Tennessee
    thank you![​IMG]

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    road island reds =RIR they r one of the top breeds that lays the most eggs in a year. they lay good sized eggs as well as very friendly. barred rocks r another good one also.
    welcome!!
    silkie

6. lizard7

lizard7 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Kansas
    I have a barred rock and 2 GL wyandottes (pullets) and get 2 -3 eggs nearly every day. Very happy [​IMG]

7. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We have the best luck with our Black Sex-Links and our Leghorns. Each lay 5 a week per bird.

8. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    I have 2 RIR/Aracauna 3year old chickens that lay an egg every day, and sometimes 2 each. I feed them extremely well though. (myself included![​IMG]) From what I've heard, RIR's seem to always be great layers.

9. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    My best layer is a silkie bantam named Kung who, up until about a month ago, we thought was a roo! He/she has layed every single day for a month.

10. newbie coops

newbie coops Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Northern New England
    From my own limited experience with four "heavy" breeds - Buff Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rock, NH Red, & Black Star (or "Sex Link") - the Black Stars are by far the most prolific egg layers. They started laying at 15 weeks and continue to lay one egg per day per bird. The rest all had to try to catch up, and still haven't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by