Best egg layer?!?

Pics

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hello!!

I’m wondering what the best egg layer breed is. We have cut our flock down a lot and the chickens we have are older, so we want to add young birds this spring!! I am looking for one that lays lots of eggs and is hardy!! Thank you for any advice!!!

Hello!!

I’m wondering what the best egg layer breed is. We have cut our flock down a lot and the chickens we have are older, so we want to add young birds this spring!! I am looking for one that lays lots of eggs and is hardy!! Thank you for any advice!!!
I'd go with at least some Leghorns and Easter Eggers.
Sexlinks lay a lot but don't live long, they usually end up dying from reproductive issues due to laying so much.

Hello!!

leghorns, Easter eggers, and barred rocks are GREAT layers!

White Leghorns
California Grey and Whites
Barred Rocks
White Rocks
RIR aka Production Reds
Sex Links

EEs lay a bit less but fun coloured eggs and keep laying for years. I have not kept True Whitings yet, but they are probably good layers. So far my Crested Cream Legbar Crosses are laying great as well.

I have had Sex Links and Production line birds, they lived just as long as birds that laid less eggs from non production breeds or lines here.

I have heard the same about the sex links but it defies logic, I mean if the parent breeds/lines of sex linked birds are not feared to be short lived… such as RIW, RIR, Barred Rocks, White Rocks, Leghorns… why are their cross. The same people that often preach hybrid vigour often deride Sex Links which are colour based hybrids.

So what is the real problem? Misconceptions?

A current study for big poultry layer flocks confirms they need more than industry standard is supplying currently in standard layer feed to be healthy… more protein, more quality fat, more vitamins… so can we really expect healthy birds that are underfed, fed the bare minimum for a profit? In addition industry standard is to cull those birds pretty young. Also the industry manipulates the molt and lighting to force egg production.

I feed my birds well, give them space, let them roam my yard and feed more whole everything and next to no corn. I think a quality diet is one big difference to why my birds are usually healthy. I don’t try to artificially force molt my birds or keep them laying when sunlight decreases with the season, I figure the break is natural for them, and Mother Nature knows best.

Just my thoughts on the whole anti sex link thing, it simply makes no sense to me.

My most reliable have been the Jersey Giants so far. My Wyandottes are just starting to lay in the past month and are definitely small eggs, not frequently laid. The Jerseys lay every day and maybe miss a day every two weeks or so (there were two with different colour eggs, so we were very sure lol). Good size right off. The Sapphire Gems laid a bit earlier I think, but still not sure on reliability yet. Still waiting on EE, they’re pinking up nicely right now. I have a bunch of other breeds that I just got last month, so we’ll see ☺️

I will say we didn’t buy based on egg production. They’re pets and I like flashy birds… Now I’m interested in different egg colours and feed prices are getting a bit out of control, so I am looking at making hard cuts if production is low. If they can lay enough to buy feed, I’ll let them stay

Back
Top Bottom