Best Egg Layers

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
So next year I am restarting my flock. I am planning on getting the best layers for 4 colors of eggs. I will not get hybrids, due to not being able to breed a hybrid and a hybrid and get a hybrid.
So far I know what I am going to get for the white and green. But I am still unsure for what to get for the brown or dark brown

WHITE - Pearl White Leghorn
BROWN - ???Rhode Island???
GREEN - Black Isbar
DARK BROWN - ??? Black Copper Marans??

Anyone have any suggestions, I can get the Isbars and Marans from a local breeder, who doesn't charge much either.

Last edited:
I know this thread hasn't seen much activity in awhile but I am going to give it a try...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Layer of good sized eggs(any color), Rose Combed(I live in northern region), heritage breed(would love to take something that is not super common and work on maintaining a rarish breed). I was very excited about Yellow House Farms Ancona breeding. Fits the bill for sure but not really an option driving to NH. Ancona's elsewhere have single combs. I think they have worked hard to develop a very nice bird for northern climbs.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks.
There are a number of varieties of Rose Combed leghorns. IMO, they are not as productive as the common straight combed white leghorn. But, I bet if you set up a flock of RCL, and bred forward for productivity, you'd improve the breed. I had some BRCL, and liked the looks of them. Their blood lines are in my BYM flock. I have a feeling that with the chipmunk down pattern of the chicks, they would be somewhat auto sexing. Or, you could go my route, and work on developing your own barn yard mix by combining a few different breeds. If you look at the Sex Linked Information thread, there are some neat charts in the first post that tell you what mixes will produce a sex linked chick. My flock are 98% pea or walnut combed and my egg basket is 50% brown, and 50% olive, green, mint, blue. By choosing the largest eggs to set every season, you will breed forward for a hen who has that desired small comb and will provide a large egg. I would also avoid feathered legs and feet for a northern flock.

I would definitely recommend the BCM for chocolate brown eggs, plus mine is a decently good layer. As for medium brown, there are so many breeds that fit the bill it's not even funny!
th.gif
Yes, Production Reds are FABULOUS layers, but so are Rocks and Black Australorps. I guess it just depends on whether you're looking for additional personality, looks, or solely as producers.
smile.png

I have to add, Isbars are absolutely fantastic birds. Our roosters are great, and the pullet is a precious doll baby. Can't wait 'till she starts laying!
celebrate.gif

~Alex

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend the BCM for chocolate brown eggs, plus mine is a decently good layer. As for medium brown, there are so many breeds that fit the bill it's not even funny! :th Yes, Production Reds are FABULOUS layers, but so are Rocks and Black Australorps. I guess it just depends on whether you're looking for additional personality, looks, or solely as producers. :)

I have to add, Isbars are absolutely fantastic birds. Our roosters are great, and the pullet is a precious doll baby. Can't wait 'till she starts laying! :celebrate

~Alex

Thanks for the info!!
I'm really excited for the Black Isbars and the BCM's.
I'm going more towards a Rhode Island Red or Plymouth Rock right now for the brown egg layers.

Blue Isbars/Silverudd's Blues are such a fabulous choice! Ours are mostly 1st import with a little 2nd import mixed in and are STUNNING birds!!! From what I've read, most breeders strongly prefer the 1st import stock. I can't comment on the eggs since only one of ours is a pullet, and she hasn't started laying yet.

I wouldn't be without at least one BCM in my flock...LOVE those dark eggs! I would say the same for Welsummers. Those huge, matte, terra cotta speckled eggs are in a class of their own.

As for brown egg layers, hands down, my top pick would be the Barred Rock. Ours have the most endearing, people-loving dispositions and lay big, light brown eggs that look just like someone dipped a paint brush in white paint and flicked it all over them.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Have fun!

These are all the breeds of chicken I have ordered from MPC, obviously all brown egg layers except the leg horns which lay white. I have ordered 2 roosters being more of a "beauty" breed which I plan to mate with my silver and golden Wyandotte. I dont plan on mixing those roosters with other breeds unless you guys have suggestions for mixing? Only breeds i have ordered though. I am in the pursuit of a 3rd rooster but for more egg laying purpose mating. I don't want another Wyandotte, orpington, or jersey giant rooster because although they are good layers they aren't great. I know if i get a Rhode Island Red I could mate with delaware to get red star sex link chickens, but idk. I need help in choosing a 3rd rooster ,please give suggestions on different roosters and different mixture I can make such as australorp or delware or leghorn or rir or even speckled sussex rooster??? Idk, one I can't get is barred rock because they are out of males for my hatch week. Please help in my choosing of a good egg laying breed rooster! And suggestion for good mixtures of that chosen rooster to other breeds thank you!

So next year I am restarting my flock. I am planning on getting the best layers for 4 colors of eggs. I will not get hybrids, due to not being able to breed a hybrid and a hybrid and get a hybrid.
So far I know what I am going to get for the white and green. But I am still unsure for what to get for the brown or dark brown

WHITE - Pearl White Leghorn
BROWN - ???Rhode Island???
GREEN - Black Isbar
DARK BROWN - ??? Black Copper Marans??

Anyone have any suggestions, I can get the Isbars and Marans from a local breeder, who doesn't charge much either.

The progeny of breeding hybrid to hybrid is still a chicken and will out produce anything else you mentioned. In quality and quantity.

I know this thread hasn't seen much activity in awhile but I am going to give it a try...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Layer of good sized eggs(any color), Rose Combed(I live in northern region), heritage breed(would love to take something that is not super common and work on maintaining a rarish breed). I was very excited about Yellow House Farms Ancona breeding. Fits the bill for sure but not really an option driving to NH. Ancona's elsewhere have single combs. I think they have worked hard to develop a very nice bird for northern climbs.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom