1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockyPhoenix, Jan 17, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    I want to know what breed lays eggs best. I don't want Leghorns. Thank You!

2. Baldguy

Baldguy New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    WNY
    Hi, Rocky. I think that even though you don't want them, White Leghorns are the best layers. I have some and also some RIR's. The Reds are good layers too. My Leghorns 5-6 eggs /wk /each. My Reds 3-5 eggs /wk /each.

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    If you're not looking for a purebred, I can recommend red stars. They are bred to be hardy egg layers, and mine are proving that to be true.

4. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Delawares are great layers. I get an egg a day from each of mine. They rarely miss a day.

5. CaseFarms

CaseFarms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2009
    San Diego
    I get an egg every day (+/- 1-2 hrs = 5-6/wk) from my RIR.

Growing up we had a small flock of RIRs and they were consistent layers of good sized (Large) eggs.

My Easter Eggers are less consistent, but as long as they lay well in the spring, I'll be ready for Easter!

6. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My Naked Necks (Turkens) and my Buff Orpingtons are both great layers, even in the winter! They also have docile personalities.

[​IMG]

7. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I have two red sex links that have each laid an extra-large brown egg every day since they first started laying. It is my understanding though that their rate of lay will decline over time, so I'm waiting to see. I would recommend the cross breeds that are bred specifically for egg laying such as the Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, etc.

For the records, my Australorp at 1 1/2 y.o. lays about 3 a week, my 6 m.o. Wyandotte lays about 4-5 per week and my (4) Plymouth Rocks each lay small cream eggs every day. My (5) barnyard mutts (daughters to the Australorp) give me 4 - 5 small cream/light brown eggs a day.

My Buff Orpington's lay a large light brown egg about 5-6 a week from each.

Hope this helps.

8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Khaki campbell ducks. [​IMG] they are fantastic layers. My new hampshires lay rally well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by