Best egg laying breed chicken for HOT weather?

Quote:
It is concluded that vitamin E (125 IU/kg) and vitamin C (200 mg/kg) could independently alleviate the effects of heat stress on production performance and immunological variables of layers.

I know 1 KG= 2.2LBS and can work out the milligrams, but don't know IU/KG. Also in what form are the vitamins presented?

Sorry I'm not trying to highjack this thread.

IU/KG means International Unit per Kg. IU is how vitamins are measured.
For measuring Vitamin E, one IU = 1 mg

It's different for all vitamins, in that one IU of Vit. C isn't the same as one IU of Vit. D. You can buy vitamin tablets at walmart for humans, and break them up as needed to feed the birds. Or you can probably find some bird vitamin supplements for their water to you don't have to individually administer pills. Red cell for horses, is also a good supplement with lots of...well...everything in it. We give it to our chickens and pigeons at a tablespoon per gallon, once or twice a week.

Last edited:
I am in the Gainesville, Florida area and we are hot and extremely humid during the end of the summer. I get an extreme amount of eggs out of my flock consisting of Black Australorps (best layers for me), Black Sex-Links, Rhode Island Reds and Americaunas (green egg layers). All of these breeds do wonderful here, but by the end of summer (like late Aug-early Sept) egg production slows then stops until about Christmas. The Black Australorp is known for laying around 200-250 (or more) eggs a year, which is eggs-cellent, so mine are about right on schedule and I just have to plan for this by holding eggs back for ourselves in the fridge. Also, we don't feed them except during winter and hope to soon not be doing that either. We have began planting seed crops in our pastures and then rotate graze the chickens on the planted fields. Still working out the details but we are on the right track and had much success last year planting a wide variety of stuff for them to eat. Best of luck to everyone, doesn't it feel great collecting your own food to eat
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom