Best egg-laying breed for kids?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Fluffnut, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right section but I wasn't sure where to put this Q:
    I'm considering getting my younger sister a couple hens for her birthday, around January. It's not cemented yet, just an idea, but I already have 20+ birds and so I'd probably be able to do much of the care for her, while it could still be a good learning experience. I was thinking a bantam breed that have high egg production but are attractive and low maintenance. Any suggestions?

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I always recommend buff orpingtons. They are hearty, lay lots of eggs, and friendly. My favorite chicken!

3. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Bantam cochins don't lay a ton of eggs, but enough that they are worth keeping. They are cute, friendly, docile, and come in many colors.

4. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    Thanks- I have two standard sized, and while I do love them a lot <3, but she's not particularly interested. She does like one of them who'll jump on my shoulder, but I don't think they look "interesting" enough for her.

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I've thought about getting those, but I stretched the egg boundaries this year getting a couple of Silkies, so I don't think I should. The little buggers are a good option though, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

ValerieJ and AltonaAcres like this.
  6. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    What about mixed breeds? They are interesting because no two look alike. All of the 'mutts' I've had so far lay a lot of eggs. All different sizes, colors, and personalities. What could be better?

MysteryChicken likes this.
  7. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    For me it’s Bielefelder. They are an awesome breed. Prolific layers of XL eggs. Friendliest breed we have.

NHMountainMan and Fluffnut like this.
  8. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    What about bantam barred rocks? Bantam brahmas or easter eggers?

NoodlesMama and Fluffnut like this.
  9. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    I am considering those- I already have all of them- out of those she likes the EEs the best :)

TwoShepherds likes this.
  10. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Bantam silver laced or gold laced Wyandotte’s. Very attractive and visually interesting, particularly in a bantam size.

TwoShepherds and Fluffnut like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: