Best Egg laying breed you’d suggest

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roo5, May 23, 2019.

1. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    I wanna get six pullets.Currently have 16 chicks,with possibly five or so more roosters and just wnat to be prepared.I was thinking of just getting sexed at birth breed, but having had those before, they died within 2-3 years a few making it to 4.Mist generally the chicks around the tsc, are sexed,I’ve had great success with getting mostly pullets and maybe a one cockerel in he group.So any breed will be a tooken in for suggestion as it’s probably sexed girl.I just want ideas.I want to avoid production/Rhode Island reds as the breeds I did choose majority are extremely docile and calm, expect for the Brahams and Easter eggers,they’ve been the absolute worse and their only four weeks and have been bullying the others(which is what also causes me to think a few are male)I seen anconas But wasn’t sure if they were good birds,and I’ll probably get New Hampshire Red as when I did keep them they were great.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'm partial to my white leghorns and white rock. They are incredible layers. The white rock is quite sweet. The two WLHs are very inquisitive and sassy.

Willowspirit likes this.
  3. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    My favorites are New Hampshires by far. Large brown eggs, smart, friendly birds, and amazing egg production. Can't go wrong! Another breed that fits that desc is the Australorp, and they make good mothers too (not sure if you want/need that).

4. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    We were thinking about leghorns.I think we will get a few if they have them.Might get Austrolourps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: