Best egg-laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Team Fluffy Puffy, May 8, 2011.

1. Team Fluffy Puffy

Team Fluffy Puffy Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    I recently ordered 5 Black Australorps, 5 Buff Orpingtons, and five Americaunas pullets. Which hens lay the best?

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    [​IMG] Hmmm.... I'm not sure which would be the best of those three [​IMG] I think though they are all pretty decent layers. I have one Buff Orpington and she lays about 4-5 eggs a week, even in the winter. I have never had Astrolorps or Ameraucanas but I think they ar about the same [​IMG] I'm sure someone with experience with all three will chime in soon!

Edit: just discovered! The record holder egglayer was an Austrolorp in Australia that layed 364 eggs in one year (must have taken Christmas Day off) Wow!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. Team Fluffy Puffy

Team Fluffy Puffy Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    Wow! I'm glad i ordered five of them haha im sure the others will try to keep up haha

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Ha! I guess that was during a competition of some sort [​IMG] I guess that was an exceptional amount of eggs for any breed including leghorns! [​IMG] Unfortunately you probably can expect around 180-200 a year, but that is still a lot of eggs!

5. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    Overall, I think our Black Australorps outlay the Buff orpingtons...not by much, but the Australorps seem to be more consistent year round.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would say the Australorps, they have a record of one hen laying 364 eggs in 365 days.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    1 - Australorps
    2 - Orpingtons
    3 - Easter Eggers ( If you want true Ameraucanas, you must get them from a breeder. Since you're ordering from a hatchery your "Ameraucanas" are going to be Easter Eggers. [​IMG] )

~Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by