Best Electric Chicken Fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ravenvalor, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ravenvalor

ravenvalor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Hello My Fine Feathered Friends,

Can someone please recommend a high quality electric chicken fence for here in the Burlington area of North Carolina? It does not have to be portable but it would be nice.

Thanks so much.

Jim

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I used premier 1. I was quite happy with the product. I would electrify it though, a predator will really tear it up. The portable ones are really easy to move and put up. Don't leave them in it at night, or they will be dead. :)

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
  4. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    I second the Premier fencing. Here's what I got and have been happy with after weeks of reading and agonizing over the choices. We have a flat, big, square area that we fence in.

--Premier PoultryNet, 48" high, double spike, 164' long
    --HotGate
    --Kube 4000 energizer

Have had it up and running since Sept. here in upstate, NY and not one breach of a four-legged predator! So glad I got the gate, the good energizer, and the double spikes. The extra inches on the fence are good too since I have some flighty breeds...

Sarah

5. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Thanks for the sage advice. I will look this up.

6. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    I guess the neighborhood cat will jump on the fence only once.

The prices are not that bad when you consider the cost of a regular chicken fence.

Thank you so much.

7. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Have you had much trouble with the grass shorting the fence out? The website seemed to imply that if I use a large enough energizer I do not have to worry about the grass, at least not as much.

8. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Have not had a problem with the grass yet. We only put it up in late September, so the growing season was pretty much done.
    I can't imagine it will be that bad.
    When I mow, I'll go into the coop, shut the power, go out and move the fence inward a bit, mow and then shift the fence.
    I pretty much move the fence weekly still. It's been between 35-45 recently here in upstate, NY, and even though it's a muddy, sloppy mess, the fence is still ticking away (literally--you can hear a tick--my boys thought it was funny to touch the fence on the off-beat--I laughed pretty hard when they misjudged!)

We got the Kube Energizer because we knew we were running power down to the coop, we knew we wanted to add more segments of fence on (though one section has been great for 36 chickens!), and we knew it would still have some juice in the winter months.
    I can't tell you it was putting out full force when we had that super heavy, sticky snow last week, but with a shift of the fence, a few shakes, and a scrape of my boots, it was clear enough to add a little boost of energy.
    My hope is that after three months of animals testing it out, they'll be hesitant to try it again with the snow on the ground.
    Fingers crossed!! Fencing was 10% off this past week (which I haven't seen with Premier since I started researching in August). Let's hope hubby bought me a new section for Christmas!!

9. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Hope your Christmas wish list gets filled Sarah. Thanks for the help.

10. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Hello again,

Sorry to bother you again. I am ordering my fencing today since it's snowing outside here in central NC. If you have a few minutes during this busy holiday season to help I would appreciate it.
    Is there a danger of a fox or cat climbing up a tree next to the electric fence and jumping over the fence without touching it? If so I've got to reduce my lot size by about 10'.
    Also, I noticed that you purchased a HotGate. Are you pleased with it? I was thinking of just using the location where the two ends will be joined as a gate.
    Last but not least, why did you purchase the poultry net and not the net kit?
    Once again thank you so much for the helpful advice.

Merry Christmas

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by