Best Emergency De-Wormer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Since I discovered my sick hen has worms, what's the best wormer for right now, to kill them and get her back on her feet quickly? Can't do a vet, and she's pretty sick. Someone else mentioned -

safeguard (fenbendazole) or valbazen (albendazole). Any other ideas? The farm store opens at 10, then I'm off to see what they have... The I'll do the other 2...

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you know what kind of worms she has?

I use valbazen and am very happy with it. It kills all types of worms. You'll want to worm your entire flock, not just your sick girl. Repeat the dose in 10 days.

I've never had a really sick hen due to worms though, so I'm not sure if you'll need to pre-worm with Wazine first. (Wazine only kills roundworms though - it depends on what kind of worms she has) Depending on how sick she is, it may be worth the risk to give her the valbazen, I don't know.

Hopefully dawg53 will be on soon - he'll know. [​IMG]

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    It looked like a round worm, like a short earthworm. Not tape for sure, and about 2" long... Thanks! Yes, doing the whole flock... 2 [​IMG]

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    For something inexpensive that works well, I use Safeguard paste. A pea size amount on a piece of bread for each chicken does the trick. Repeat in 10 days. It will not kill tapesworms though. But since you don't think they have tapes, Safeguard will work fine, and it's inexpensive. If she's sick, and won't eat, you may have to put the pea sized piece of Safeguard, (not on bread) in her mouth for her to swallow it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks!

6. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I could only find wazine 17 locally, so we'll see how it works. All bought a high calorie paste to boost her intake...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by