Best feed for a mixed flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BaGAWK!!, Mar 11, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I'm wondering people's opinions on the best choice of feed for a mixed flock of pre-lay pullets, adult hens and roosters, and sometimes the free range guineas will eat this too. I want to change my feed, they all eat layer crumbles now. I'm concerned about the amount of calcium in the layer feed for the roos and young birds. My end goal is to switch them soon and offer free choice oyster shells.

I would like to know what you feed and what type of flock you have. Also does anyone know the acceptable range of calcium that I shoykd be looking for on the feed bag labels?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think a flock raiser is the way to go. I believe it will run about 1.5% calcium, with layer around 3.5 to 4%.

I've done this and the chicks didn't pay any attention to the oyster shell, that I ever saw, just as I never see roosters pay attention to it.

3. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Thanks for the advice. I started checking into this after I saw your post. Also I wanted to get your thoughts on this: my local feed store sells a feed called Rooster Booster. It would he neat to buy because it's made near where I live. But it's all scratch seeds w/some kind of pellet mixed in. The feed guy said it used to be used for fighting cocks. It is 18% protein which falls in line w/a lot of layer. It didn't have the calcium content in the label but we both thought it couldn't be high since there was only the one added pellet. He seemed to know his stuff and reasons behind why I wanted to switch, i.e. afraid of gout etc. what do you think about this feed, I always heard it was not complete or good to feed just scratch.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree with Flockwatcher.

I have a mixture of every animal that you can think of that should be in a chicken yard and all of them get Flockraiser.

5. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Do you think game bird is just as good? I can get that easier. I read on the Purina flock raiser label that it's for other breeds rather than chickens, and cornish cross also. Is that too much protein or whatever that will end up making them plump up too fast? I'm just going by the notion that people want cornish crosses to put on lots of mass fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by