Best feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by audy5000g, Apr 20, 2016.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    What's the best waterfowl feed for ducks and geese that are going to be used for meat and in the market class at the fair?

I want to be sure that we don't get angel wing. But I also want quick growth.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My birds have always had healthy growth on Flock Raiser but I don't raise meat birds so have never watched their weights closely.

3. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    I used to get that but can't find it anywhere now.

4. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I raise for eggs only.

Ducklings grow so fast that you probably don't need to feed them a special diet like you would for chickens ( layers vs. broilers).

I fed my current batch of ducklings free choice 20% soy free from scratch and peck feeds and supplemented daily with greens (clipped grass, greens, peas) in a dabbling bowl and top dressed food one time a day with a handful of (different choice daily) steamed potatoes, carrots, cottage cheese, spirulina supplement with flax & dried insect pupae, canned dog food so i could get them sued to the thing theyl'l left when they're added to by adult ducks pen. I have not fed them beets or water melon yet because I don't want to clean that mess out of the bath tub ;)

You may find a meat duck ration in storey's guide to ducks. I can't confirm for you because I loaned my copy to new duck keeper in town.

It's a good reference so it's worth buying.

5. briannakay

briannakay New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    Garden valley ca
    I've been using bar ale Inc non GMO food. Local to where I am in California and I've heard lots of good things around town from other people as well.

6. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    You keep your ducks in the tub?

Why dog food?

7. cayugaducklady

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I've brooded two sets of ducklings in the tub. We're very slowly completely renovating a farm and farm house that literally haven't been updated since they were built in the 50s :). THe bath tub works great for them because the water mess goes down the drain and I can wash their other mess down daily as many times as it needs it :).

Because of the other projects we have to complete we won't have electricity down by the duck yard for a loong time yet. Where I live it is still getting down to the 30s at night and freezing occasionally so they can't be outside until they're fully feathered.

Dog food provides animal protein. It's a calorie dense food source and I started feeding it to my layers once they started laying in December. I think they are healthiest and happiest when they are getting animal protein in their diet. i have not had any eggs with off colors or off flavors.

My hens particularly enjoy venison and tripe.

8. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Is it the soft dog food

9. cayugaducklady

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    Yes, it's canned dog food. I'm using ziwipeak brand because they don't add in weird chemicals like some more mainstream brands. MY ducks wouldn't eat dry dog food even if i ran it through a feed mill first.

Another animal protein source may work for your ducklings. My adult ducks do not! like fish meal or crab meal so they end up wasting any feed that uses it as the protein source.

I found out that they love venison after I ruined a venison shoulder.

10. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    So interesting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by