Best feeder for coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jackson41, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    What is the best feeder to cut down on wasted food for these greedy little Boogers?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use the long metal chick feeders for mine. They can get their heads in the holes and scratch all they want...as long as you don't fill it any more than the top of the bottom pan they won't scratch it out. Anything with a 'bottle' or 'jar' is a waste of time, those just give them all that much more to waste.

3. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:I use a piece of PVC pipe with a opening cut in the top [​IMG]

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    It helps to keep the food high enuff to where they can just reach their beaks in to grab food and they can sling it out.

5. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I am using a long pvc pipe with wholes drilled throughout. Works great.

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I use these http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/chicken-equipment/flip-top-chick-feeder-20-in--2167094

You
    can buy them most anywhere.

They solve the #1 problem with coturnix feed waste. The endless supply of feed...AKA, the hopper problem. Pretty much anything with a flat bottom, where feed just doesn't fall out of nowhere is the best. The PVC feeder is yet to be evaluated by me, but I have that on my list of (things to do), to stop feed waste.

Providing a good quality and fully stocked "Dust pan", removes the 2nd problem. Dumping all that dusty 30% GBS on this wire floor so "I can take a dust bath". Not the sharpest tool in the shed, which is why you can out think them, and why you should never think that they do things just to spite you. There is something going on in that little pea brain, but not spite and malice.

There will always an amount of feed wasters as far as coturnix goes. There will always be that one joker in life, who's 27/7 mission in life is to pick out every speck of feed from the feeder and waste it.
    The #3 (Cull option) must be deployed in that case.

7. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That's the one I just purchased. Now if the little buggers will just quit being afraid of scary thing!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:That's the one I just purchased. Now if the little buggers will just quit being afraid of scary thing!

AAHHHHHHHH ITS GONNA EAT ME!!!

LOL... YOU THINK COTURNIX ARE BAD YOU SEE BOBS WITH NEW "THREATS" [​IMG]

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:What is the size of PVC pipe are you using? Is 4" too large?

10. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Mine is 1 " but was thinking of going to 2. 4 " is quite large for their necks but I am the kind of guy that If 4" is what I had, then I would make it work.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by