Best feeder style for meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by growinupinfl, May 13, 2011.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Ok how do we best feed meaties? I did have a 4" PVC pipe cut in half that provided two feeders 4 feet long that they now empty almost immediately. They have slowed gaining weight because I can't keep up with feeding them every 15 minutes.. any ideas or help on something easy and quick I can put together for meaties?

2. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Dont know how I double posted.. Sorry

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I feed my small ones in a feeder like you, but once they get to the age of filling it for me (poop) I let them out to free range and feed them directly on the ground.
    I know that sounds a bit crazy, but the pro's are these:
    they are not genetically inclined to forage - this encourages them picking up grit and blades of grass etc. which I think is healthy for their digestive track,
    I can tell how much they have eaten,
    I can move their feed space daily with no build up of poo,
    I choose where they are going to hang for the day (they don't stray more than about 5 feet)
    & I can easily count them as they are all eating in a single file row!

4. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I started my broiler chicks using one of those red trough feeders with all the head holes in it. That was fine for 2-3 weeks until I saw them getting their heads stuck in it! haha.

So I cut-out the webbing between every other hole on that feeder (enlarging the holes) and that was fine for another week. But they were emptying it fast.

So I built a 2ft long trough feeder out of plastic gutter... with wood end-caps to hold the feed in and the handle... and screwed to a wood bottom so they can't tip it over.

This works great for 8 birds... 4 on each side... my 9th bird squeezes in. It holds a lot of feed... although I do have to fill it twice a day.

Cheap, ugly but functional.

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by