Best feeds for newly laying pullet??

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
I have an older pullet who just started laying about 40 weeks old. She is laying just fine nice healthy looking eggs but her comb has gone a little pale and I was wondering if anyone have recommendations for food to help support her? I need to get her some laying feed, but I do have oyster shell for her. She is a pet, she lives in doors so does she need more sun light? Protein? Or does she need something else?

I have an older pullet who just started laying about 40 weeks old. She is laying just fine nice healthy looking eggs but her comb has gone a little pale and I was wondering if anyone have recommendations for food to help support her? I need to get her some laying feed, but I do have oyster shell for her. She is a pet, she lives in doors so does she need more sun light? Protein? Or does she need something else?

She needs a layer feed with at least 16% protein plus the oyster shell and chicken grit. there are also lots of treats you can vary in her diet to help support her. a sunny room will help her be in the mood to lay but she will want somewhere a little dim when she actually lays the egg.
how sweet to have a house chicken!
love.gif

She needs a layer feed with at least 16% protein plus the oyster shell and chicken grit. there are also lots of treats you can vary in her diet to help support her. a sunny room will help her be in the mood to lay but she will want somewhere a little dim when she actually lays the egg.
how sweet to have a house chicken!
love.gif

Plan on getting the lay feed ASAP. And mix it with her current feed, which is chick feed which I think is 20% protein. She also have chicken grit. She does have sunny room + I try and get her outside for at least 15min of out door sun light. She has a nice dark place to lay in, my Lhasa Apso's crate. He doesn't mind and isn't going to argue with her about her being in it.

Plan on getting the lay feed ASAP. And mix it with her current feed, which is chick feed which I think is 20% protein. She also have chicken grit. She does have sunny room + I try and get her outside for at least 15min of out door sun light. She has a nice dark place to lay in, my Lhasa Apso's crate. He doesn't mind and isn't going to argue with her about her being in it.

Sounds good. That's cute with her and the dog!
smile.png

What are you feeding her, what is her main feed, are you giving treats if so what are they and how much, does she get any outdoor sunlight?

Last edited:
What are you feeding her, what is her main feed, are you giving treats if so what are they and how much, does she get any outdoor sunlight?

She is currently on organic chick feed. 20% protein. I will get layer ASAP.
She gets out door sunlight mini 15 min a day.
She gets Raw sun flower seeds, Sesame and Wheat Berries. Probably about 2 Tablespoons a day. My mom gives them out so I am not sure 100%.
She also gets anything she can scrounge out of the dirt in the garden or picks at that I let her near. AKA nothing that would poison her.

She is currently on organic chick feed. 20% protein. I will get layer ASAP.
She gets out door sunlight mini 15 min a day.
She gets Raw sun flower seeds, Sesame and Wheat Berries. Probably about 2 Tablespoons a day. My mom gives them out so I am not sure 100%.
She also gets anything she can scrounge out of the dirt in the garden or picks at that I let her near. AKA nothing that would poison her.

I don't think it has anything to do with her not being on a layer feed.
I haven't fed a layer feed in some time and don't have a problem.

You might try cutting out all the treats, only about 10% of her diet should be treats.
That would be around 11 grams of treats a day for your hen.
Also have you ever wormed her or treated for coccidosis?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom