Best first breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brains, Jul 27, 2013.

1. brains

brains Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    I am very new so excuse me for a silly question. I have 2 children ages 5 & 7 and am looking for a good breed that is good with kids and people so the kids do not get scared. What is your suggestion?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have heard that Silkies are (or can be) the most friendly and cuddly. From my own experience I have found Buff Orps to be calm and docile.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you buy hatchery stock at the feed store, I would go with buff Orpington, black Australorp, or Barred Rock. They are quite commonly carried at feed stores or TSC's. Also commonly carried are some sort of "red,' which might be called production red, New Hampshire Red, or Rhode Island Red. These tend to be a lot harder to handle as a group and I would definitely avoid them. If you order online, I'd include most of the other dual purpose breeds, except Wyandottes, for the same reason as the "reds." Kids often find Silkies and Polish attractive but they can have more health problems.

Of course, in the end they are individuals, so it's just a matter of improving your odds. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by