Best flooring for poop clean up?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ravenzero, May 4, 2011.

1. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Hey yall, gonna start working on my coop as soon as I get home, wanted to ask real quick, what is best to keep a coop floor lasting?

Vinyl Floor "tile"?
    Linolium?
    Another cheap board?
    Thick stain resistant paint?

My last coop was a tractor and poop floors wasnt an issue XD

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Vinyl tiles tend to come loose prematurely.

Sheet vinyl, or linoleum, is fine if you happen to like doing that sort of thing, but quite honestly I have that in some pens and plain painted plywood in others, and the two clean up just the same, for me. So I would not actually spend MONEY on BUYING flooring, just do a good prime-and-paint job and there ya go.

Very very little poo should ever have the opportunity TO get ont he floor anyhow, since that is what the bedding (litter) is for [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I had some left over formica (used on most kitchen countertops). I got my dremel tool out, and went to town, cutting it to fit my floor. A few weeks ago, I brought my chicks out and let them run around in the coop, before I put any bedding in. They pooped everywhere in the short amount of time they were in there. After it dried, I just kicked it with my foot, and it just slid accross the coop. I don't know if formica is cheaper, but it's an option to think about.
    Oh, and I did not glue mine down, I used sheet metal screws and screwed it down, so it can be removed if need be.

Good luck!!

4. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I used linoleum. Put sand/dirt about 2" deep on top then I sprinnkle wood shavings for smell and help with clumping. Works great for me. 3 hens.

5. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I like to be able to hose my whole coop out twice a year. I currently have cement stepping stones in my coop, but our new one will be a raised coop and I will just have everything primed and painted.

6. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Quote:Can Linoleum be hammered down? How much did it cost you?

7. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    linoleum for sure. you can by scrap pieces pretty cheap at hardware/flooring stores. I highly recommend it.

8. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:Can Linoleum be hammered down? How much did it cost you?

I went to the discount bldg. supply store. Scrap bin. $5.00 for a 12x4 ft. roll. My coop is 3x8. Nailed it down with "poulty staples". I would think the roofing nails with the round plastic tops would work nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by