BEST food for my Emden babies?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by audy5000g, Feb 12, 2013.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    4 Emdens coming at 7:00 am. What would be the best food for them? They are meat geese for the fair! Thanks

Last year I just used a Water Fowl food from Tractor Supply.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we feed all goslings Mazuri waterfowl feed Starter then maintenance. Enjoy your new little ones

3. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Where do you get this feed? I went and bought Dunmore Starter Grower at Tractor Supply earlier today.

4. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    biggest thing is NO medicated food..

5. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Really? Hmmmm. Why is that? I am pretty sure it has med in it but would not know what to look for.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 20.00%, Lysine (min.) 1.00%, Methionine (min.) .50%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .70%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.20%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .65%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    its actually no issue medicated or not. Medicated feed use to be dosed with a level and medication that was harmful to waterfowl. That was many MANY years ago, the new medicated feed is fine and poses no risk.

Personally I would avoid dumor, its the lowest quality feed produced by the parent company.

Mazuri can be found at many feed stores (you can use the Mazuri web site to find one near you) and it can directly ordered from them

An all flock or flock raiser is acceptable too, however you need to watch waterfowl for leg conditions as they require higher niacin levels (supplement with brewers yeast sprinkled across the food)

7. psue

Feb 12, 2012
    really? wish it was easier to find up to date information ........ [​IMG] our area doesn't carry your favorite food Celtic . I used non medicated chick food last year from Nutrena and changed them gradually to the adult non layer mix at about 6 weeks. of course the main diet during the daylight hours is grass, grass and more grass [​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you can use the all flock from nutrena and or flock raiser from purina too on the new hatchlings. If you arent going to hatch a ton of goslings the mazuri is worth ordering in and having direct shipped to you. Its like little beebees in size and they do well on it. Before we could get Mazuri locally we used nutrena all flock or purina FR for hatchlings.

9. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Mazuri Waterfowl just became available in my area but at $45 per bag, it's a bit too expensive. I have fed my two geese flockraiser from the start and they seem to be doing well, however they will not touch the layena so I make sure they get a lot of greens and free choice oyster shell. Mine are now coming up on a year of age.

10. psue

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks Celtic.. I wont worry about finding chick food this year. I'll just use the Nutrena. Does it have enough niacin in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by