Best for Temperment and Egg Laying

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Okay, I am only allowed one more pullet (city ordinance) this spring.
If I want a great pet hen that lays well what would you suggest?
I have one Leghorn, one Australorp and one RIR, and would want something I don't have already.
I would want a clean-legged breed.
I am leaning heavily towards SS.
Opinions please...thanks.

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex
smile.png

I love my wyandottes. they are very friendly and lay well. they may slack off in the winter some. I had buff orps (hatchery) they laid well but were not very friendly. I have heard otherwise so it could be where they came from. my roo was also aggressive.

I have two SS. They are the sweetest hens. They like to tell long stories and will just hop up on my lap and chatter on and on about all the latest gossip lol. I just love them. They are pretty reliable in the egg laying department as well. They lay light brown eggs.

Most definitely Delawares. If you want a pet .... Delaware is an excellent choice. Mine are like puppies, they follow me everywhere and jump up on my lap all the time. Oh yes, Delawares! They are my best layers, and I have several breeds.

Last edited:
I have SS, buff Orps, black Australorps, EE's, one lone Leghorn, and have had NH Reds, RIR, Barred Rocks, Kraienkoppe, and probably some more. By far the friendliest are the SS, and they are good layers of a pretty soft creamish or tan egg.

Back
Top Bottom