1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Freedom Rangers...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Nov 29, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    This spring I plan on getting a batch of FR for a sustainable meat-bird project; I will be keeping them and breeding them, F2 plus more generations, then selectively breeding them mainly interested in size, and growth rate, and continue on until I get a strain that is relatively stable. So my question is can anyone tell me which place I can buy the best "quality" FR, or are they all basically the same?

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
  3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    yep.. if you are actually looking for freedom rangers

but for what it's worth, this last batch of 200 i got had a lot that died of flip. this hasn't happened with any of my other batches. needless to say i wasn't thrilled. these birds are NOT, by any means, immune from the meat bird problems so common

makes me wonder, since their SIL is now hatching all the birds and this was my first batch from "freedom ranger hatchery" and not "JM"

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think other hatcheries sell them under different names such as "red broiler"...

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    yea

i know that those are sometimes sold out, whereas the FR are shipped every wednesday of the year

this spring i may try some of the red broilers as a comparison. maybe do a few tractors w/ colored broilers from different hatcheries to see how they fare.

6. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Ideal sells red broilers, mine are 3 1/2 weeks old and look good. Nothing like the cornish cross but nice birds. On a side note, Ideal's customer service was great and very reasonable shipping

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have my first batch of red broilers shipping next week from Ideal next week. I will let you know how they do.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just wanted to let everyone know I ended up getting both red broilers AND freedom rangers, and they are VERY different, the freedom rangers are bigger, growing faster, cleaner, prettier, and just all around nicer.

9. ty23

ty23 New Egg

Dec 5, 2008
    delaware
    Try the silver cross AKA Kosher King from Knoll's poultry, and see how they compare to fredom rangers.
    The cost is alot less at $0.95 each for 25 males. I have not tried the freedom rangers, but like what I see with these birds
    at 8 weeks.

10. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by