Best friendly goose?? New to the goose thing, would like expert input!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jerseygirl1, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I really would like to add a goose or two to my flock of chickens, with that I am going to get some silky ducks next year frmo Holderreads (SP?) - I would love some input on the best goose for the bunch!
    Thanks

2. We have a pair of Embdens. The female has always been sweet but the male was really mean for about a year and now he is also sweet but has his "Times" when he is hard to deal with. I would get a pair of geese.

You might enjoy this movie [​IMG]

3. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't think that Embden are the nicest goose around! Although that is all I have had experience with I believe that their are nicer breeds! There are a few people on here that keep such breeds as sebastopols, africans, etc... I know that cottage rose can help you with sebastopols and I am sure that there will be more people that will post on this thread that can help you also!

Good Luck!

noahsgeese

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I heard Sebastapols were the most docile, but very exspensive. I don't have any geese but admire the pilgrims, chinese, african, and toulouse. Toulouse are said to be calm and quiet.

5. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    You should get geese!

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I want to get geese and ducks, but this year we got chickens for the first time EVER and are going to get a dog and (perhaps?) in awhile a horse. Maybe in the next couple years I can expand into waterfowl and peafowl. [​IMG] One bird/creature at a time, you know!

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I agree, also, I agree that I should get a pair
    They are beautiful, aren't they? All of them!!!!!!!!!!

8. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Do you not have any geese? You really should get some!

9. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I have three Toulouse geese roaming the yard. They get along well with the other poultry.....well...unless it is their eating time and there better not be a chicken in their feedbin..ha..but just a small unharmed pinch to the chicken.
    My mom raised Emden and I loved them but they are loud and sometimes mean..which I find funny!
    I chose Toulouse since I have grandchildren living with me. They are very docile, gentle and only sound off if something is wrong. they are great yard guards. I intend on keepiing geese around as long as I have room for them. They are graceful and peaceful to watch.
    I am very anxious for spring so I can add 3 or 4 more to the flock. I purchased these geese just a few weeks ago and they are full grown. They are starting to warm up to me now and will get rather close....
    but they still DON"T like a hug!! [​IMG]

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Many breeds are considered friendly but the Dirty truth is that it is usually an individual trait. Most of my tuffted Romans are friendly but tend to be afraid of people. I have had really sweet Pilgrims that would come up to you and craw up in your lap. But if you go to them they get defencive and either run and hide or get ready to fight. Mostly I think it is a function of how they were raised and how you treat them. their friendlyness is more like cats than like Dogs, they are friendly if and when they feel like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by