best gaurd bird?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cami, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    what is the best kind of bird to guard my chickens? I had 6 chickens and 2 were killed last night by raccoon attack.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No matter how good anybird is as a protecter.........none guard at night ,when raccoons attack.......

Best set traps.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:No birds gunna be able to fight a coon at night, but for predators during the day you could get a malay roo (or two if you have ALOT of hens as they are agressive towards one another) it wouldnt be able to win a fight with a coyote, or a stray dog but it might be able to hold them off long enough for the flock to get somwhere safe. They would also help discourage hawks.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree...no roo is a match for a coon.....trap em!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Shoot small to medium dogs and cats are no match from a coon either.

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Guinea fowl make good look outs. Mallards too. They aren't much for fighting but it sure does put them on alert. Once the commotion starts I can take my Model 74, flip on the spotlights, and plug them.

7. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    I agree with the above post. A Guinea will is the best alarm you will ever get.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Guinea and emu. Leave the lights on and they will be on alert.

9. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    No bird will gaurd against a coon attack.You need a dog for that, or trap them. I have caught and disposed 4 coons in 10 days trying to get my new golden comets. The live traps are set close to my coop.Those coons just keep on coming. I make sure the girls are well secured at dusk.I always look foe signs of coons trying to enter coop. I built my coop like a brick S--t house.Coons are nasty, presistent predators,trapping and disposing never stops here.They are the biggest threat to my birds since i've been keeping hens.Their are plenty of dogs and hawks around my neighborhood, but so far, not a problem.
    Constant trapping, a strong & secure coop and a good dog will go a long way to protecing your birds. Good luck....

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Birds may alert you to danger, but frequently at the price of their own life in the process. Any birds do not make good guards because they are as prone to predation as chickens. If you want a guard animal get a dog, a llama, a donkey, or (in some cases) a goat.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by