Best goat breed for beginners

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LissyB, Nov 3, 2012.

1. LissyB

LissyB Chillin' With My Peeps

I NEED a goat! My mom wants another horse, but doesn't want another horse.[​IMG] I mean, we only have one horse that needs a friend, but my mom won't get another horse! So I'm trying to convince her to get a goat. My dad would like fainting goats... but idk! [​IMG]And mom sais teenagers are bad![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Does the horse even get along with goats? There are many horses who will not stand sharing space with goats, and a horse can easily stomp a goat to death. They can view them as a threat, something strange and dangerous. Before you consider getting a goat for a horse companion, you really need to find out if your horse can safely live with a goat...

3. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

X2

and the fainting goats, if you have alot of coyotes or stuff like that are a walking 4 hoofed happy meal (it is true) and those are meat breeds, if you want milk go for a alpine, niggy or ones of those

4. LissyB

Thanks! IDK if my horse would get along with a goat or not... never thought about it. She is the sweetest horse though, just gets lonely sometimes. We haven't seen any coyotes where we live but close, so a fainting goat would not be a good option. It would just be as a pet.

5. LydiaB

LydiaB Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    I would reccomend a Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf wether, if the horse doesn't mind goats. They eat less than full size breeds. However, a full size breed would be able to defend itself better. Nubians are the biggest dairy breed. A meat breed wether would be larger than a dairy breed. It also depends on personal preference on what a goat looks like.

6. LissyB

I don't really care what it looks like! But it would have to be big... unfortunantly

7. LydiaB

May 28, 2012
    Boers are really calm. It may be hard to find a tame one though, as they are raised for meat. Otherwise you could get a Nubian, they are the biggest dairy breed.

8. LissyB

Thanks! I would like to show them in 4h too... so I guess looks do count!

9. LydiaB

May 28, 2012
    Make sure they are well tamed. It is much easier to train a goat that likes humans than one who doesn't. You should be able to find a show boer, they are really expensive though. A Nubian wether shouldn't cost too much, I sell mine for $75.

10. LissyB

Thanks! I kinda want to breed them and sell the babies though, as a project. I would keep one whether though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by