1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Goat?..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by youdontknow32, Jan 19, 2009.

1. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Hello,
    I was talking to my DH and....I told him I wanted some goats and a few other things, like pigs and a cow or two...but I grew up on a dairy farm so know all about cows and pigs....Goats well not so much, I have always wanted them, and my dad wouldnt allow it, because some guy said dogs would run the down, and the goat would just lay down and die...so at the time we had 6 cattle dogs, it just wasnt worth it. Well I dont have any dogs now, and we have moved so...I wanted to start looking at information on goats..I know a lot of you guys have them...

1. I am wondering what kind of goat is your favorite?
    2. Pictures?[​IMG]
    3. ..and also any one in SW Pa...well have any goats?..do you sell them?

Thanks so much!
    This will be a big help, I am terrible at making decisions..

4. Sorry one more ?..I may end up and get a few different breeds...so do all goats get along? Should I not get a certain breed to put in with another kind?

Thanks...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be watching this thread for the responses. We will probably be getting goats sometime in the near future. I'll be doing a lot of research before then, but it sure would help to have a place to start...and things to consider...

I need goats to help clear some weeds/underbrush/poison ivy...and also have a pretty good personality so they'll be a good pet for the kids.

3. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    [​IMG]....

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I love my Nigerians. They are a small dwarf goat. Come in a variety of colors, If you want to milk on a small scale, they have plenty and can be super sweet. I have bottle raised all 5 of mine and they are lap snugglers. The wethers, fixed males weigh about 70#. The females are smaller. They are about the height of a medium dog. What ever you do, make sure you get more than one, 1 goat is a lonely goat.

5. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Thank you very much!

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We really enjoy our mini-manchas (more common in standard size). The LaMancha breed is medium in size, and is also noted for a generally calm, quiet, and gentle temperament. The LaMancha has excellent dairy temperament and is an all-around sturdy animal that can withstand a great deal of hardship and still produce. When I first saw a LaMancha, I thought it looked really odd, but now I think they are adorable.

One of our new bucklings and his mom:
    [​IMG]

One of our does:
    [​IMG]

Bella and two of her kids:
    [​IMG]

7. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Awww..they are so cute!

Thank you!

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    PotterWatch...STOP posting picstures of those babies! I'm actually starting to think earless goats are cute! Quit it![​IMG]

I love my miniatures. I have mostly Nigerians, grade and registered, and some Pygmy & Pygmy crosses...and a Silkie Fainter doe and two of her Nigi cross sons...pictures are on my site.

The milk from the Nigis is delicious. They have great personality, each one as individual as you can imagine. Colorful, playful, and highly saleable.

If I were to convert to a full sized goat...It would be Nubians. I have one and am IN LOVE.

9. youdontknow32

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Come on, no one can resist the power of the earless. Look into their ears... you are getting sleepy... you are getting the urge to buy LaManchas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by