Best/good ways to deter Raccoon and Skunk?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ponyfeather, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ponyfeather

Ponyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Okay... I think we're having a possible influx of 'pest' animals in our neighborhood. I think it is possible we have someone feeding them? Thankfully I keep my chicken inside, she is a house pet. But I like to take her outside, I'd like to build her an out door run + hen house in the hopes of getting more chickens. But we have had lots of skunks around and my mom just saw three juvenile Raccoon's recently in the morning hanging over our fence. I'm working on try to block off a porch like area, but other then making sure everything under the house is sealed up tight, any recommendations on how to make them want to go away? Make them not want to be in our yard?

I'm also worried about our cat, he is getting up there and I don't want him hurt by the Raccoon's in the area.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    There is nothing you can do to "deter" skunks and raccoons. You will have to build a predator-proof coop and run for sure.

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    iwiw60 is correct...there really isn't anything you can do other than making a coop/run that's as predator proof as can be (1/4" - 1/2" hardware cloth is best; chicken wire is a joke and will end up costing you more in the long run because you'll be replacing it often, not to mention a raccoon can easily tear it apart) and if someone is in fact feeding them, that's a losing battle. You could contact wildlife services to see if they're willing to trap and relocate but no matter many are removed, they will only be replaced by more/other predators.

LGDs are great deterrents for the types of predators you're dealing with (and well beyond) but that's a whole other commitment/investment that doesn't suit everyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Make sure that there's no food for them out there. No wild bird feed, cat food, etc. Build a truly safe coop and run, and trap and shoot visiting varmits. Mary

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    S - S - S

Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

6. Ponyfeather

Ponyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Might have issues doing this sadly with where I live. Or I would just do this. I'll work on building her a predator proof run/coop.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    When you see one raccoon there are probably a 100 more.

Now see what happens when someone feeds them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by