1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best goose breeds and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by PearlTheDuck, Feb 19, 2017.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    Hello all!

Lately I've been very interested in ordering a goose, the thing is, I know nothing on caring for them, but I will start by figuring out what breed I will get

I need a breed that is very friendly and docile

Also I have a few questions

Can I keep one alone? Or do I need to have at least two? I have ducks and chickens but keep them separate because they don't get along (chickens attack my ducks) could the goose go with my ducks?

Could one or two geese be okay in one kiddie pool? Or do they have to have a pond?

How much room do geese need in their fenced area?

Do geese fly?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I've personally never seen a goose that's friendly and docile. They chase kids,cats and chickens. I've had one that chased my cows.

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 3 chineas geese.U get these geese back in Octber so im fairly new but have learned so much.

These geese have beeb fairly friendly,accept when breeding season came along,they becane a but distant.Geese in generek can become aggressive during breeding season.

Chinease do have an aggressive rep though but actually are kept for pets.

Your goose needs atleast a friend,so a male and female would do best,ir just raise it with your ducks.

If your geese can manage to defend themswlves from your chickens then i may put them in there,but someone could get seriously hurt,I wouldnt unless its a guarantee you wont have probs.

I have found out geese and ducks can learn to get alomg fairly well.We ended up with 2 ganders and 1 female,so obvious probs there.After sorting things out olive oil (The accident gander),ended up losing and went and joined our ducks.it took awhile but our ducks adventually made firends,now that ducks our becoming spring prepared we are seeing some obvious drake and gander problems,so flock dynamics are a bit messed up,but im sure things will to normal adventually.

All i have to say is,if they can stretch,flap their wings without having to duck and avoid eachothers wings,and be able to atleats stand 2 or 3 feet apart the cage is big enough,and obviously no bickering among one another.

4. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Ok, thanks so much!

You say one male one female, could I have two females?

And what about the pool situation? Or do they need a pond?

5. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

That's probably because they were not hand raised, or kept as pets, and probably not even very tame.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    The male would fight you if you tried to go near his ladies.

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    A pool works fine. If it's big enough for your ducks it's big enough for geese.
    Get 2. Ideally a pair but 2 ganders or 2 goose can bond just as easily.

8. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Only during nesting season when he defends his territory and the female because she is nesting, it's his job, which I'm not 100% sure domestic geese do that. There is a difference between domestic geese and geese at parks.

9. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Ok great!

Thanks for the help!

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    2 female would Work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by