Best Greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by aaronburton87, Oct 1, 2016.

1. aaronburton87

aaronburton87 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Hello,

A part of my senior project, I'll be buying a greenhouse and growing a winter garden. I live along the Wasatch front in Utah where the record low temperature was -14 F. I feel confident in the outsunny 10*20 greenhouse. I'd like to know if this is a good choice, I only plan on using it for the winter. Will I be able to maintain a decent temperature If I run a heater? How well "insulated" are the greenhouses?
    I'd like atleast a 7*15, but I dont want to go over $300.00.

Thanks,
    Aaron Burton

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Hi Aaron! Why don't you build your own green house? You can put together a cattle panel hoop green house for a fraction of the money you will spend to buy one. Mine is 8' x 8' x 6' high. 3 panels would give you 12 x 8 foot print. Center ridge pole 2 x 4, 2 x 4 framing on bottom. Ends are also framed with 2 x 4's. Doors are framed up around 2 aluminum combination windows picked up very cheap from Habitat for Humanity Re-store. If you do a google search for cattle panel green houses, you'll come up with plenty of designs. An excellent book for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Season-Harvest-Organic-Vegetables-Garden/dp/1890132276

He gives temp charts comparing outdoor unprotected to temps inside green house, inside tunnels, and inside green house with cold frame protection in house. Also gives some construction ideas, crop suggestions and planting dates to get the most out of your winter garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by