Best Grit/Oyster shell canisters?

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
Hey everybody! My chickens are 6 weeks old and moving out to the coop when the PNW nights warm up! So far I'm just using a small bowl for grit, But that's not going to work great in my coop, so what are some feeders/canisters I can buy for grit and Oyster shell?

I have a few of these around. They are from the Dollar Store. Plastic, and resistant to weather. Keep grit in one, and Oyster shells in other. Let them free-choice snack on these in coop, or run. I always keep these in sight of where feed, and water is located. (in the run in my setup)
image_2021-05-21_010820.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I have a few of these around. They are from the Dollar Store. Plastic, and resistant to weather. Keep grit in one, and Oyster shells in other. Let them free-choice snack on these in coop, or run. I always keep these in sight of where feed, and water is located. (in the run in my setup)
View attachment 2680794

Ok, But how do you keep pine shavings out? Keep it on a brick/box?

I suggest you keep the container in run area, instead of inside coop. Remember that the chicks, and later chickens will not consume very much of both grit, and oyster shells. My supply goes down very slowly. I currently have 6 chickens.
Chickens do know what they need, and seek it out in their environment.

I suggest you keep the container in run area, instead of inside coop. Remember that the chicks, and later chickens will not consume very much of both grit, and oyster shells. My supply goes down very slowly. I currently have 6 chickens.
Chickens do know what they need, and seek it out in their environment.
That makes sense! I have a small run space under my coop and I could probably put it down there so it stays dry.

View attachment 2680794

1621578705776.png Do you think this would work? If I elevated it a bit?

Sure it would work just fine. :thumbsup and you don't have to worry that the grit will mix with the Oyster shells. Mixed works just fine. The chickens have better eyesight than humans. (they are supposed to see wider spectrum of the light waves) I can find the article for you to read, if you want. One eye sees far, and other eye sees things up close.

Sure it would work just fine. :thumbsup and you don't have to worry that the grit will mix with the Oyster shells. Mixed works just fine. The chickens have better eyesight than humans. (they are supposed to see wider spectrum of the light waves) I can find the article for you to read, if you want. One eye sees far, and other eye sees things up close.
Ooh, I'd love to read the article! I might as well buy 2 because there cheap.

Back
Top Bottom