1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Guess as to Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ClareScifi, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Please take a look at my rooster photo below and give me your best initial guess as to what breed he could be? Note the silvery-blue on his wings and hackles. Go with your gut feeling/first impression when you guess as to his breed. He's flapping his wings in this shot:

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Blue x buff Orpington is my first impression.
    Nikki

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    hes a mix of some sort

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    HowFunkyISURChicken,

When you say Blue X Buff Orpington, what do you mean by 'Blue?' I think he looks an awful lot like he has Buff Orpington in him, too. Is there a Blue Orpington? Or did you mean a Blue something else?

I appreciate your guess. I sure think he looks Orpington, as well. Is there anything else that could look Orpingtonish?

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a columbian pattern but in buff and blue instead of white and black what color are his legs

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting, Ramirezframing! A while back I researched him and couldn't remember what I discovered, but that was it 'Columbian!' I kept thinking it was 'South American' something or other, but I knew that wasn't right. 'Columbian' was it...'Blue Columbian.'

His legs are white and the bottoms are very pink. When he was little his legs were maybe a bit more greenish. I'll change my Avatar to his baby picture so you can take a look at it. Oh, he was a cutie!

The man who gave me his egg thought the father was a white leghorn, but I don't see any indicatiion of that; do you?

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, I forgot to mention, the current Avatar is a picture of him taken a year ago, when his hackles looked super blue. Okay, I'll post his baby picture next.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Here is his baby photo. You can check out his legs. Is a Columbian pattern a breed or a type of coloring that any breed can have?

[​IMG]

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    What ever he is..... HE IS ADORABLE!!!!!!! I do not think he resembles a leghorn at all.

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Why, thank you very much for the compliment, ChucktheChick! I think he is adorable, too! Here is another picture of him as an adult, taken just yesterday. His half leghorn sister is enjoying a bowl of yogurt at his side. She clearly has the leghorn build and coloring, but I think your right. 'Baby' does not look leghornish at all:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by