Best guesses on a breed for this baby

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by henloverinmaine, May 21, 2012.

1. henloverinmaine

henloverinmaine In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    Long story shortened......... This chick was brought in to the vet I work at with a broken wing on 4/30. I would have guessed it's age at less than a week old at the time. We surgically removed the wing not REALLY expecting it to survive the surgery/recovery. Well it's now 3 weeks later and "he" (we think) is thriving. He is MUCH larger/heavier than another chick we have that is about 1-1.5 weeks older. "She" (we think) is a cross of an Araucana and a mystery rooster we had, so we expect her to be smaller.
    Any thoughts as to what kind of chicken this is? He has yellow legs with a black strip down the front of each one, a single comb, yellow beak with a black stripe over the top and the feathers are coming in black and white like a barred rock. Maybe thats what it is, it's just that he is SO MUCH larger and heavier that the other one or even other chicks we have had in the past at this age.
    Thanks!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Barred Rock mix maybe ? He look like a roo to me with the big red comb and wattles.

3. popsicle

popsicle Songster

If he's a Barred Rock there is no doubt it's a cockerel. Yellow legs, lighter color, red comb, red wattles, stance...etc

4. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, what a bruiser he's going to be when he's older! Definitely male, and I'd very much believe a Barred Rock cross with an EE (hatcheries are notorious for selling EEs as Araucanas, which are highly uncommon birds).

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  5. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    barred rock rooster, full not mixed!

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    That's not a barred rock - a full-blood BR rooster would be much lighter in color and crisp, clearly distinct barring.

That is probably a black sex link cockerel - if he gets reddish feathers in on his shoulders around 12 weeks or so, that's your man.

7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he doesnt look mixed but he does look a bit rough with his feathers coming i say hes a barred rock (not a mix) but please post pics when hes fully feathered out so we can be 100% positive that he's not a mix (as he could be a bsl)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: