Best guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nickeechickee, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Ordered 5 assorted "rare" breeds (all pullets) from Meyer plus a meal maker. One died in transit. Any guesses?

There are two of this one, plus the one that died in transit looked the same as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    #1, Golden Campine maybe, other choice would be a Hamburg.
    #2, Wonder if that is your meal maker, looks like RIR type.
    #3, That chick looks blue in the picture, Blue Orpington maybe?
    #4 Silver Polish? color looks kind of inbetween

3. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    I don't know about #2 - she is definitely a lot darker in color than the brown egg layers I got that I was told were probably RIRs (they were a reddish beige as newborns and are definitely feathering in red). This one is almost a chestnut color. I would call both #3 and #4 a gray color...which I'm really hoping for because I've always wanted a blue. [​IMG] #3 is darker than #4 in real life. For #1 someone on my FB also said EE? I can't remember what color legs my EEs had when they first came home though and I don't know that I would call those green.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    #4 is a silver laced polish, #3 could be a few things like blue andalusian a marans a orpington #1 might be a sicilon buttercup what type of comb does it have

5. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Ok, so did a closer examination this morning.

#1 - I don't know what to call the comb. Flatter and wider than any of the other chicks, but sort of ruffled around the edges. They do have a chipmunky stripe down their backs like my EEs did, but I don't think those legs are green.

#2 - Single comb. If you look closely, she also has a slightly darker stripe down her back.

#3 - Upon closer examination, I would call this one black vs. gray. The yellow feathering makes the black look softer though. Comb and top of the beak are black, so having a hard time telling shape, but I think single comb.

#4 - Hard to tell if this one is truly gray either, or just a "frosted" black. Lighter and color overall than #3. Can't see any comb with the puff ball.

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    #1 I think I will go with Buttercup then Hamburg if it doesn't have a single comb.
    #2 I'm still wondering if this is your meal maker, if I understand what they send as a meal maker it is usually either a good layer or a meat bird and this looks like some of the production red type chicks. If it is a rare breed then I would vote Buckeye.
    #3 OK, if this chick is black, I'll stick with Orpington, but a Black (Blue) since they have that on their rare breed list, maybe black Penedesenca second since they have partridge maybe they have black?
    #4 sticking with silver laced polish on that one

7. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Cool thanks! It is entirely possible he is a RIR and my other batch was misidentified. I'm relatively new to chickens. They are definitely red now, but I don't now the difference say between New Hampshire Red and RIR.

I will try to post some updated pics in a couple of weeks to see how they've changed. I'm thinking as they get older it will get easier?

8. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Im guessing RIR for 2!

9. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    #3 looks like my Black Austrolorp did when she was tiny. But I dont know anything about rare breeds.

10. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With #2, the only "rare" breed I could come up with that she matched is Buckeye, and it has the wrong comb for that, of course she could have the wrong comb, or they could have breeds in these assortments that are not listed. With the meal maker, she looks dark for a pure RIR, but hatcheries all have their own type of red sex link and/or production red birds, so I am sticking with my guess that she is something along those lines, at least until the chick proves me wrong :)
    Ya, it gets a whole whole lot easier once they get bigger and start feathering out, but it is fun to guess at this age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by