1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best hatch ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Apr 4, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am finished with my hatch of Barnevelder eggs & Bantam Cochin eggs. I started with 23 Barnevelder eggs and 16 Bantam Cochin eggs that were shipped to me. I candled at day 9 and tossed 2 Barnevelder's that were clear and 7 Cochin eggs that were clear / blood rings. Of the 21 Barnie eggs left, there were 12 that had wiggly babies in them and the rest I wasn't sure. All 9 cochin eggs had babies in them. I never did candle them again. I had planned on candling them on day 18 when I moved them to my hatcher, but there were issues with my 2nd bator getting here, so it was day 19 when I moved them, and as I was moving them into the egg carton's I accidentally dropped one of the cochin eggs and broke it. I got so wrapped up with that, that I just put the egg carton's into the hatcher and didn't candle them. I ended up with 14 Barnevelder's that hatched and 7 Cochin's. I candled the rest this morning to see if there was anything. There was 1 Cochin egg that didn't hatch and it did have a baby in it, however it never did pip into the aircell. I am not sure what happened to it. There were 2 Barnevelder chicks that appear to have died 3-4 days ago, and 4 eggs that did not look much different than what I saw when I candled at day 9. If I would have candled at day 18, I would have put 16 Barnevelder and 8 (9 if I wouldn't have dropped the one) Cochin eggs into the hatcher. My hatch rate of those turned out to be....

16 Barnie eggs set - 14 chicks hatched = 87.5% Hatch Rate
    8 Cochin eggs set - 7 chicks hatched = 87.%% Hatch Rate

I am so excited, I can hardly stand it. I KNOW the secret to good hatches, which really isn't a secret, is to leave them alone. The only time I opened the incubator was to add water, candle at day 9 and to move them to the hatcher. That was it. There were a few times during hatching that I wanted to help, I had 2 eggs that were pipped for a really long time, and in the past, I would have helped them (and they would have died). I decided this time I was not opening the bator no matter what. I was going to let them do their own thing. And guess what, I got my best hatch ever!!! I will never mess with them again. They will get candled at day 9-10 and then again going into the hatcher and they will not be messed with again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Mottled Bantam Cochin - One of my favorites from the whole hatch (the only Blue Mottled I got)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    good job [​IMG] now if only I could get the "secret to hatching" to work for me.

3. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Beautiful chicks [​IMG]

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! I had hatched some blue mottled cochins too but got 3 splash, not 1 blue. Two of the splash died and I have one splash pullet left. Talk about disappointed that I lost those two! uh!

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONGRATS!

That pic with the spool of thread is precious!

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is great! It is so hard to leave them alone. What kind of bator do you have and what were the vitals? Temp and humidity....

The chicks are beautiful! I especially love that mottled blue cochin bantam baby....

7. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Great job! The chicks are cuties.[​IMG]

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Congrads [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] you did good

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Where did you get your Barnevelder eggs?

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I use a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with a turner for incubation and a Genesis 1588 for a hatcher. My humidity ran 45-55% during the first 19 days, and then day 19-end of hatch it ran 65-75%. My temp ran 99.5 - 100* the whole time. I have tried hatching several times and have been lucky to end up with 7-9 chicks out of 3+ dozen eggs. It is so hard to not candle them and mess with them, but I honestly believe that this is the sole reason, that I had such a good hatch. These were shipped eggs, and in fact the Barnevelder box came all dented up on one end, like it had been dropped or kicked on the end. There was 1 broken egg inside. I was hoping I would get 1-2 chicks to hatch with the condition of the box. I also had 2 broken eggs in the cochin eggs. I was worried that I would have a bad hatch based on the handling during shipping.

I got my Barnie eggs from Peace of Thyme.com. She has been great to work with!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by