1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Best Hatcheries for Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CBerens78, Jun 7, 2010.

1. CBerens78

CBerens78 Hatching

Jun 7, 2010
    Can anyone give me suggestions on the best hatcheries to purchase chicks from? I have seen them all over the internet and of course they all say they are the best, anyone have any recommendations?

Also I have been reading a lot about Marek's Disease. Is it a good idea to buy the chicks vaccinated? Does this affect if they can be sold as organic?

Thanks!

CJB

2. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    Well it depends on how many you want!!! lol Murray Mcmurray is a good hatchery but you have to get 25 min. of chicks. I like Cackle(GREAT custom service and friendly people!!!) they do have a special thing were you can get a min. of 5. Or there is My Pet Chicken they have a minumum of 3!!!!! [​IMG] Those three are great hatcheries, I know there are others, but those are pretty good!

For the Marek's you should call your county extension office and ask if Marek's Diesese is a problem in your area. I called like 15 places around here and NO ONE knew!!!! [​IMG] So I went ahead and got them vaccinated just to be safe! [​IMG] Good Luck!

cacklehatchery.com

mypetchicken.com

murraymcmurray.com (sp?)

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Generally your best bet is to get chicks from the postally-closest hatchery to you (or really, ideally, anywhere you can pick up day-olds by just driving there). The longer they are in transit, the more chance of problems.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: