Best hatcheries

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalwild, Feb 3, 2017.

1. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I want to get some ducks and chickens but not be an insane amount and have to order a bunch. I have looked at Murray McMurray hatchery, but decided not to order from them. Wondering what hatcheries you guys recommend. Also best duck breeds and suggestions on a duck pond. Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
  3. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    I ordered mine from here:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm
    I ordered 3 of the day old Cayuga's and they all arrived happy and healthy to Montana in just 2 days. The company was really easy to work with. Lots of breeds of ducks but I think only two breeds of chickens.

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Depending on what you are looking for, you can always order from a breeder too rather than a hatchery.

I breed anconas, calls, and muscovy as well as turken chickens and silkie/sizzle/showgirls. I ship to most US states as well

5. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
  6. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
  7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If in western Canada? ....Rochester Hatchery in Westlock Alberta is fantastic and if looking for Ducks? Duckopolis in Darwell Alberta is great too.....Not sure if they ship though?

Cheers!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio because they are within 4-5 hours from me. That way I can get my chicks within 1 day of shipping and they are less stressed. I would recommend getting chicks from a nearby hatchery if possible. Both of my shipments were healthy. They do a lot of the shipping of chicks for My Pet Chicken, but are less expensive without the "middle man." Small shipments may cost as much as ordering 25 chicks though, because of the extra heat packs and packing. https://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_subcat.a5w?cat=1020

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by