Best hatchery for 4H/FFA Turkeys

riftnreef

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Mechanicsburg, Ohio
Wondering who has had great success with what hatchery for kids' 4H/FFA market turkey projects? Our county extension office does a group order each year, but it seems the kids that have the most success venture out on their own for birds, but obviously they tend to be a bit tight lipped as to where they are getting them. The birds we get from the extension office get plenty of size (40+ lbs for our birds each year), but seem to have more and more health problems and just don't have the breast confirmation we are looking to get. When I asked the kids up for grand and reserve for 4-H and FFA, all four said their birds did not come from the extension office, so lets here it....who's your favorite...:)

I've heard McMurray has some good hatchery turkeys. I've never ordered them myself though. That is the hatchery that comes to mind though.

Which hatchery has the best turkeys is like asking which Walmart has the best Kleenex. None of the mail order hatcheries maintain their own breeding flocks of meat type turkeys. They buy eggs.

If you want to win the 40# and up class ask the hatchery if their birds are Nicholas 700s
If the target weight is less than that you want Nicholas 500s or any of the Hybrid products
It is unlikely that you will find BUTs.
If your project objective is to raise hens it is of little consequence what the breeding is.

Meyer hatchery is a good supplier of well hatched poults.

Back
Top Bottom