Best Hatchery for EE'er egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by WoofMeowCluck, Feb 19, 2012.

1. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    No roosters allowed here so I have to go with a hatchery. I have several EE'ers- their egg color is such a washed out light blue it's almost white. Suggestions on which hatchery has a good line for darker pretty blue/green colored eggs would be very much appreciated, thank you!!

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I have received chicks from McMurray, Mt Healthy, and Ideal. With McMurry, it was a long time ago... plus 15 years. I received about 25 from them. Most of them were a pretty blue or greenish blue. I got about two pinkish brown eggs.

I then ordered from Mt Healthy a few years ago. With theirs, it was about half blue/or blueish green. The the other half were medium brown or a pinkish brown. I did get one hen that lays a brown egg with purple spots! I still have her. She lays about 5 eggs a week now.

Last May, I ordered from Ideal. All of the EE's so far have laid a pretty blue or greenish blue eggs. They have laid really big eggs to start out with.

3. alohachickens

alohachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had a hen from Ideal that laid gorgeous light blue eggs. Big eggs, and she was a great layer.

4. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    How funny, I have some from Mt Healthy and one lays a purple-ish colored egg too! There are two that lay a very light blue, almost white egg, and the other two lay light brown. I'd really love to get some that lay a darker blue or greenish blue.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ideal Hatchery, green to bluish green eggs, all sorts of plumage colors .. white, buff, red black, partridge, silver and had a couple of blues as well.

6. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    EweSheep are you still here lololol.bet you dont remember me,i used tobe wyndot55.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, alive and kicking!!!!!!!! Long time NO see, Wyndot55! LOL!

8. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one EE from Ideal that lays a nice blue/green egg. One from Mt. Healthy that lays a nice blue egg and another from Mt. Healthy that lays a nice big pink egg with purple spots. I have more EE's coming both from Ideal and Mt. Healthy next week, I like my Ideal hen alot since she has a nice big full beard, but neither one of my Mt. Healthy EE's have beards but one (blue egg) has been laying all winter. I want a nice mixed flock so I went with both sources.

9. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by