Best hatchery for white Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by stilwellchick, Jan 12, 2008.

1. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I want to order white Silkie chicks. What would be the best hatchery? I live in Kansas. I don't have an incubator so I can't order eggs. I know I won't get show qulity birds, just want the best and healthiest pet quality I can find.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    How many do you want?

3. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I am not sure because I have been thinking in terms of straight run orders since that is what the hatcheries require. I would like to end up with 4 - 6 hens and 1 roo. I don't want the hens bare from the roo. If I ordered 12, I could sort out the ones I want and sell or give away the ones I didn't want. A guy I know has people calling him all the time looking for silkies. He adopts a lot of the feed store chicks that grow up to be chickens and then the kids don't want them after Easter. I have some posts out there asking for silkie people to give advice but haven't had any replies.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I would NEVER buy a silkie from a hatchery. Most are very poor quality. Try a breeder, there a lot of people here that breed silkies. Also check out American Silkie Bantam Club for breeders info.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by