1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Hatchery to get Chicks From

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyVictorian, Jan 3, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I already know the breeds I want, speckles sussex, welsummer, cochin, Easter Eggers, Black Asutralorp, and Orpingtons, wyandotte's MAYBE a Bramah. I already know the numbers 8-10 chicks, and I already know I want all pullets. Now the question is which is the best hatchery to get from or some of the top hatcheries? I don't want a high risk of incorrect genders since I'll be paying for pullets and don't want to spend the extra money on incorrect genders. I don't want a high risk of all my chicks arriving dead and I have been looking over hatchery reviews and seeing some nightmare stories so I figured why not come ask around on which hatcheries you have had the most luck with or which ones to without question avoid. I have never shipped chickens before but if I want to get these chickens in my state I will have to ship as there are not many non bantam or show variety breeders near me with a wide selection of egg layer breeds.

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I've only ordered from Murry McMurry on a couple of occasions in the past and had nothing but good experiences. Remember too that you could order through your local feed store which will remove the risk of paying for any birds DOA. I've heard a lot of good things about My Pet Chicken but I've never ordered from them before.

Just a note, but important to add, remember that if you want the above breeds to be true representatives of those breeds, you'll only get those from a good breeder since most hatcheries don't selectively breed. I was pretty disappointed when I found out my first Barred Rocks weren't anywhere near what a Barred Rock was supposed to be when I saw one in person. It sounds like you want them for pets and maybe eggs so the hatchery birds should work fine.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    After having a miserable experience ordering "special order" chicks from the feed store, I would never go that route again. If I need birds from a hatchery, I'll deal directly with the hatchery.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your big hatcheries---MMM, Meyer, Cackle, Ideal are the ones that come to mind right off---are all pretty much identical overall. They all are large businesses, and they stay in business by providing a good product. Yep, they all have some error in sexing. Overall, it's probably about the same at each hatchery. Dead chicks in shipping are usually more of a weather issue than a hatchery issue. They lose money on dead chicks, so it's in their best interest to have your birds arrive alive and well. So, order from a large, reputable hatchery. Closer is usually better. Don't order in the dead of winter or the heat of high summer.

Yep, you can find individuals that have bad experiences with each of those hatcheries. But overall, remember they're still in business after many decades, most of them. They've got to be doing something right.

5. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Yeah, the ones I am getting from the hatchery are just pets/egg layers. I am getting silkies and polish from a breeder because I want more breeding/show quality looking birds in those two. Everyone else just needs to be productive (for their breed) and if they are cute too that is a bonus.

6. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Roger that - that's an excellent plan. Similar to my setup - I have layers just for eggs and SOP birds for breeding and show. I know a lot of people are more passionate about the hatchery vs. breeder issue than they were in the last election so I always pause before I mention it, but I'd rather make them aware of it so they can be better informed before making the investment. Good luck to ya.

1 person likes this.
  7. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Murray McMurray won't ship fewer than 15 chicks. Until April 1 their minimum is 25. You might be able to find someone who wants chicks and you both could make one order and split it.

8. Duaut

Duaut Just Hatched

Nov 18, 2016
    Rogue River, OR
    Cackle sells one chick at a time but charges a fee of $20 or so to the total of your order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by