Best hatchery to get ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dirt4life, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dirt4life

dirt4life Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    So.. we got into ducks,chickens, turkeys and all that fun stuff this past spring. Of course we can never say no to more :). So we been looking at all the hatcheries and comparing prices etc. now we have quite a few different breeds of ducks already so we are just looking to either expand our flock, especially with more runners and possibly some cayugas.
    So what places would you all recommend getting them from?
    We live in Iowa if that makes a difference.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Metzers for good prices and Holderreads but be prepared to spend more with them.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I say go with Holderreads. They have gorgeous birds and they aren't that much more expensive.

Metzer's runner assortment is 5.10 a bird while Holderreads is 5.10 as well.

The only drawback with holderreads is the fact they don't sell sexed ducklings.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. dirt4life

dirt4life Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks. I will look into them :). Last year we just got what came into our local thesiens.. and then via a post on craigslist got some more :)

5. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Also, Holderread's sometimes has a waiting list and has a shorter season of availablity. If you want a better chance at getting show quality, though, I would go with Holderread's.

If you just want pets, Metzer's is great. I've had good experience with Metzer's in the past and think they're a reputable hatchery.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by