Best hatchery to use if living in Florida?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mamichi, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mamichi

mamichi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    We live near Tampa and want some Buff Orpingtons. We would prefer to only get 10-15 chicks, not the standard 25 that so many require you to order.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    M

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I live in northern Florida and have ordered as far away as Iowa. If you only want a small amount of chicks especiially Buffs I have been getting mine at the Windmill Auction in Branford. They have iti every third sunday of the month Theres a local farmer who brings day old buffs that are farm raised. The last ones I got are 5 weeks old and look very promising. He sells straight run but it looks like I have quite a few hens. He usually lets them go for 2.00 each and has them boxed up in boxes of 10 or 12. If you are interested PM me and I will send you the addy and phone number. I know alot of people say not to use an auction but this one is very good. The Ag inspection is there to inspect every chicken or head of livestock before it is offloaded from the trucks. Hope this helps Micki

3. mamichi

mamichi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info, Micki. Unfortunately Branford is too far away for me to drive though [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I live near Ocala Florida. I get my chicks from Ideal which is in Texas. I feel I don't have any weather worries such as snow storms or any weather related thing to hold up delivery of my chicks. I have had great success with the chicks I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by