Best Hatchery.

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Kennyog, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Short and sweet. what in your opinion is the best hatchery? Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people have had bad experiences with all the hatcheries and some people have had good experiences with all hatcheries. There are some differences but any one that has been around for a few years will do fine. Just find one that offers what you want. If they are close enough that you can go pick up your chicks, so much the better. Also finding one that is close enough to cut shipping time would be good, but they ship by US Mail and many of the routings go through big major cities, so this may not be as important as generally thought. It depends on the routing.

I got mine from Cackle and was very satisfied. They are vary hard to get on the phone. They badly need another phone line or two and somebody to answer it but were very good to work with when I did get through and the chicks did fine.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I also use Cackle. They are hard to reach by phone before early afternoon, but they sell some fine birds.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Their is a hatchery review sheet at the top of this page. It only has a few reviews so far, but we hope that eventually we will have hundreds to help people pick the best hatchery.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i used Cackle for my birds and this was my first year getting chickens.

all the chicks made it and no loses,1 close call though with the runt. though i had a lot of cockerels from the straight run of Houdans. there were all pullets in my order of LF light brahmas like it was supposed to be.

i've seen some nice chicks come from Idea at the swaps i went to this summer. i've heard they are just as good for birds.

6. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Chickie'sMoma :

i used Cackle for my birds and this was my first year getting chickens.

all the chicks made it and no loses,1 close call though with the runt. though i had a lot of cockerels from the straight run of Houdans. there were all pullets in my order of LF light brahmas like it was supposed to be.

i've seen some nice chicks come from Idea at the swaps i went to this summer. i've heard they are just as good for birds.

I got a lot of cochins from ideal. Most of them were wonderful and I will use them for breeding in the spring. However, on part of the order of cochins (the red and buff), I did not get what I ordered. They are definitely mixed-not purebred which is what I paid for. So, I bought those and now have to start over on those in the spring. Having said that, I sent them pictures of the birds they sent me and they did offer to refund my money-but that didn't help that I had a bunch of chickens I couldn't breed.​

7. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered from Ideal. Almost all arrived in excellent condition. They are not the best quality, which is to be expected, but they are energetic and personable. I also like that Ideal carries so many different breeds and varieties!

8. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I have a quick question. I was reading reviews of Mc.Murray and a lot of people say they throw the cocks that are extra in the dumpster. I generally wouldn't believe it but I read it several times. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that the cocks are not in a high demand but I would never do business with a company who just throws them away. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by