Best hen for a Sex-Link Cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smith2, May 30, 2010.

1. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Which breeds lays for eggs and larger eggs--the RIW or the Delaware? I want to hatch my own sex-links from my production red roo. Should I use Delawares or RIW's? I want a large brown egg and at least 5 a week. Does anyhone have experience with these two breeds and hatching sex-links?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would say Delaware.
    If you Production Red is a strain of Production Reds that has the White Leghorn blood in it I don't think it will work..

IMO -- Your best Sex-link is going to come from a Rhode Island Red Rooster over a Light Sussex Hen....

Chris

3. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I crossed my Privett Dellies over an RIR roo...the dellies never had big eggs them selves, and the pullets they produced were not impressive either. I recently purchased 6 RIW's from Privett (one looks to be a roo [​IMG]) and I will try those next spring.

4. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have never considered the roo might have white leghorn in him? Thanks for the Dellie help. I also have 2 Dellies from Privett and I am not impressed with them at all. The pullets are not impressive and they lay really small eggs. I won't be getting any more of those. I wonder about others experiences, though.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't know what that production red has in him, maybe RIR crossed with New Hampshire red? I doubt he has white leghorn in him since white leghorns are usually dominant white which means he would probably be white. I think there is a pretty good chance he would father sex link chicks. Don't know for sure though.

As to which white hen would be the best mother for this cross, I think it would depend on the specific line of white hen. Not all White Rocks, Delawares, Rhode Island White, or Light Sussex are created equal. Some lines have been bred specifically for specific properties like egg laying. If you can find a white hen with the silver gene that lays a big brown egg often, she will do. The way i understand it, not all White Rocks have the silver gene. Some have a dominant white gene instead.

I got Delawares from Cackle. They lay a fairly dark brown egg, large but not extra large. Probably 5 a week. I do not have experience with any of the other breeds.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Some lines of Production Reds have some White Leghorn in there back ground. The true Production Reds are bred solely from R.I. Reds but it some what hard to a hatchery that breeds there's this way.

As far as White Leghorns being Dominant White. Yes there Dominant White but I don't think that Dominant White does a very good job covering or masking Red if it does at all because you would cross a Dominant White bird with Black Breasted Red to get a Pyle colored bird wile it will cover or mask the Black areas the red is still there.....

Chris

Last edited: May 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by