Best hen for hatching chickies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensducks&agoose, Mar 3, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a buff orpington go broody this past thanksgiving. I want to hatch more eggs this spring, but she is still raising her chick. Can i induce broodiness in my other hens? I have 3 delawares and a golden comet, a cuckoo maran, and 2 EEs.... what do you think?

2. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I know Cuckoo Marans are quite broody, and both of my EEs have raised batches of chicks. In your assortment you have quite a few potential broodies--but they may not be in the mood right now.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    silkie crosses, pure silkies, they will brood any thing including balls

4. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    How many times will silkies go broody in a year and do you just keep the eggs in their nest for them to go broody?

5. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Yeah do you just let the eggs sit in the nest box for a hen to go broody?

Chicken Girl

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Broodiness is hormonal, so leaving eggs out won't necessarily induce broodiness. I have 10 Silkie pullets and someone is ALWAYS broody. Silkies are the Queens of Broodiness. Once they start laying eggs, they're like ticking time bombs, it's only a matter of time before they go broody. When they were younger, as soon as a new one starting laying, I would think "uh, oh - I'll have another broody soon!"

As for how many times a year - I haven't had them long enough to tell... The first one went broody at 5 months old and sat for 6 weeks (I tried to wait her out - she won), hatched her chicks and didn't start laying again for another 6 weeks or so. She's only been laying again for about 6 weeks - so I'd imagine she'll be broody again soon!

I also have 6 EEs almost a year old now and none of them have shown any broody tendencies. A friend of mine has EEs, Orpingtons and Australorps for the last 3 years and never had a broody.

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I keep a few silkies and cochin bantums for the job. I agree that silkies are da bomb in broody !!

8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    That's an interesting question. You ask the best hen for hatching. A large breed will hatch more chicks, but they will not be the quality mother as the Old English game, either standard or bantam. They are fierce defendig their chicks. There are no other mothers like this. Take this to the bank. A mothers are protective, but none are as protective as the Old english game variety. many OEG standards even have the spurs to prove it.

9. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    I would say silkies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by