Best high protein food for thin hen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lcammack, Nov 1, 2011.

1. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi BYCer's, we have a BLRW that is at the bottom of the pecking order and I am concerned going into winter that she is to thin. I think the other more dominant hens are chasing her off the food. I am considering giving her some grain free 95% protein canned cat food maybe once or twice a day, is this okay or is there something that would be better? Oh and she is about 6 to 6 1/2 months old, not laying yet.

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I don't have an answer for you but am wondering the something similar. I'll be interested to see what the responses are.

I've got two hens who were laying and now are not. I thought maybe giving them a little extra protein would help in case they are molting (no signs yet) but am not sure what "max" protein % is ideal. Currently their feed is running "not less than 16% protein".

Anybody know the highest % you can give them and still retain a healthy chicken?

PS: sorry to hijack your thread but I think answers to your question will help me out too. [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    When my hens feel a little thing, I give them 30% protein game bird feed along with dry cat food. That usually helps with my girls.

4. mcjessen

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Quote:How many hens to do you have and how much cat food are you giving them? I have three hens and was thinking a 1/4 c of dry cat food in the mornings. What do you think?

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:How many hens to do you have and how much cat food are you giving them? I have three hens and was thinking a 1/4 c of dry cat food in the mornings. What do you think?

There is usually about only 1 or 2 at one time that seem to be too thin for me. I usually just give them 1 cup (1/2 cup gamebird feed and 1/2 cup dry cat food) and fill up as needed for about 1 - 2 weeks. Your 1/4 c sounds ok. Just see how much they eat and add more as needed. And I guess you can just do the feel test like I do and see if they are putting on some weight.

6. mcjessen

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Great! Thank you!

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:You're welcome. Keep us posted and let us know if it helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Gald that the second poster got help, but what about the original posters question? I only have one hen that is thin, the rest are nice and plump and do not need any more extra protein. How can I help the one that needs it? Anyone?

9. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well if you wanted to just feed that one you could offer the same game bird or something like mealworm or any standard protein like scrambled eggs, chicken, beef, pork. I'd cook it first.

10. mcjessen

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Quote:Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. [​IMG]

Could you feed the thin chicken separately from the others and just offer it more protein than the others? It might be a hassle but at least you would have control over how much protein she is getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by