1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best homesteading chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmboy22, Mar 22, 2013.

1. farmboy22

farmboy22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I would like to know what you guys out there think is the best type of chicken, both your preferances and as a homesteading chicken.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    What are your goals? Are you looking for a single breed to serve as both meet and eggs? Or a mixed flock. How much meat are you hoping for or is the emphasis on eggs? A dual purpose like Delaware, Australorps, etc could be good for meat and eggs but will not grow as fast or as large as a true meat breed and not lay quite as well as a true layers like a Leghorn. Also, I am assuming as a homesteader you want a self-sufficient flock. If you want to have your chicks be truly hen raised I would invest in a broody breed like silkies or cochins.

I personally would go with a mixed flock with a meat breed like Freedom Rangers or a type of Cornish cross, some layers -- maybe White leghorns and some cochins for broodiness. A combo like that would probably be the best production with the opportunity to breed naturally. If you are going to incubate you can skip the cochins.

If you want only one breed maybe Buff Orpingtons? I do not have experience with this breed but have read they are a decent dual purpose bird that is prone to broodiness. Keep in mind if your layers are broody the birds do not lay when they are brooding. Less production but perhaps simpler.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by